Re: [mmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Alter egos]

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:54:10AM -0400, Matthew M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday  9 September at  2:07am, Derek Martin had this to say:
>
> > > This turns the automatic reset into a manual one.
> >
> > Indeed.  But it works.
>
> I should have been more clear, I guess.  My system may break in very odd
> cases, but having to remember to reset each time is unacceptable.
> Creative approaches that get me to my desired behavior--good.
> Creative approaches that start with me changing those desires--bad.

Understood.  You may be stuck, unless the below satisfies you (which I
can't see why it wouldn't)... Or unless the macro trick I suggested
actually works.

> > Ok, I guess I meant *-hook.  If you sort the mail into seperate
> > folders using procmail (or a similar mechanism), it's simple to use a
> > folder hook to solve this problem.
>
> Again, this works for people whom you *already know* will fall into a
> certain folder.  But when I need to fire off an email to a *new*
> person, folder-hook, like send-hook, is useless.

No, it isn't, if you filter the mail based on the address it was sent
to.  Since you're changeing the From: header with my_hdr, presumably
your work address and your school address are different.  If you sort
mail into folders based on that, then folder-hook will work perfectly
fine.

You may also find reverse_name helpful.

-=-=-=-=-