Re: mime_lookup

On 2004-06-04, Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:08:19AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > Ah, oops, that should be in .mime_types not in .mailcap.
> >
> ... or even .mime.types
>
> > It still doesn't work though, I'm still getting "No matching mailcap
> > entry found.  Viewing as text."
> >
> ... but I still get the above message.

I found that my mutt was not looking in ~/.mime-types but in
$PREFIX/etc/mime.types, where PREFIX is set when the mutt source is
configured.  (In my case, this was
/home/garyjohn/src/mutt-1.5.5.1i.)  The mutt manual says:

  5.2.  MIME Type configuration with mime.types

  When you add an attachment to your mail message, Mutt searches your
  personal mime.types file at ${HOME}/.mime.types, and then the system
  mime.types file at /usr/local/share/mutt/mime.types or /etc/mime.types

so the fact that it didn't seem to see my ~/.mime.types file appears
to be a bug, or something in my configuration I don't understand.  I
don't have time to investigate this too deeply right now, but I did
discover that adding "log" to the list of text/plain extensions in
/home/garyjohn/src/mutt-1.5.5.1i/etc/mime.types did get rid of the
error message when opening a log file from the attachment menu, but
mutt did not auto_view it--something else to investigate.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division