Re: mime_lookup

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:38:49AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> [06-03-04 10:11]:
> > On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 09:26:32AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> [06-03-04 08:52]:
> > >
> > > application/[put mime-type here]; octet-filter %s; copiousoutput
> > >
> > Er, yes, but that's just what I'm asking - what do I put where you've
> > said "put mime-type here"?  Is it just 'text'?
>
> No, you are viewing the file now as 'text', if I understood you
> correctly.  AIUI, your log file is *not* text?  But you do not explain
> what format the file is.  That format will indicate the 'mime-type'.

The log files appear as follows when I 'v'iew attachments:-

    fserror.log                      [applica/octet-stre, base64, 33K]

So what do I put in .mailcap to handle this?  It appears to be handled
automatically by default anyway, except for the warning message about
being assumed to be text.

> > > application/octet-stream; /<file-location>/<.mutt.octet.filter> %s;
> > > copiousoutput
> > >
> > > I believe that .mutt.octet.filter must be executable.
> >
> > ... and I thought that I didn't need mutt.octet.filter any more now
> > that I'm using mime_lookup.  If I do need it still what has
> > mime_lookup gained me?
>
> mutt.octet.filter, as I understand it, displays files based on their
> extension like m$ does rather than their content.  Your choice, but
> you must still associate a file type/definition for either to work.

As I understand it using mime_lookup in my muttrc is a replacement for
using mutt.octet.filter.  Is that not right?

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)