Re: mime_lookup

* Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> [06-03-04 10:58]:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:38:49AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >
> > No, you are viewing the file now as 'text', if I understood you
> > correctly.  AIUI, your log file is *not* text?  But you do not explain
> > what format the file is.  That format will indicate the 'mime-type'.
> >
> The log files appear as follows when I 'v'iew attachments:-
>
>     fserror.log                      [applica/octet-stre, base64, 33K]
>
> So what do I put in .mailcap to handle this?  It appears to be handled
> automatically by default anyway, except for the warning message about
> being assumed to be text.

It is assuming text because it, 'log', fits no defined criteria....

> > mutt.octet.filter, as I understand it, displays files based on their
> > extension like m$ does rather than their content.  Your choice, but
> > you must still associate a file type/definition for either to work.
> >
> As I understand it using mime_lookup in my muttrc is a replacement for
> using mutt.octet.filter.  Is that not right?

Not as I see it.  If you will look in your mailcap file, you will see
'octet-filter' defined for *specific* application types.  Other
applications types not specified for 'octet-filter' are handled
differently.  Hint: scan your defined mailcap file.

HOG # US1244711