Re: Background mail composition

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:24:59AM +0100, Andrew Sayers wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:21:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > Except that the remote installation specifically forbids it, I can't
> > get X through the firewall (that might be possible to overcome), and
> > it would be (relatively) slow.
>
> Have a look at the "-X" (X11 forwarding) and "-C" (compression) options
> to SSH.  They should do what you want with no fuss at all.  You might
> even want to look at the "CompressionLevel" setting in
> /etc/ssh/ssh_config

I have just moved (same job, different employer, we've been spun off
as a separate company).

In my previous situation unless I explicitly turned off X11 forwarding
by using the '-x' option the ssh connection would fail.  Thus I
couldn't (as I said) use X11 there.

I've just tried from my new place of work (same hardware, different
domain, firewalls, etc.) and I can enable X here.  However it does me
no good whatsoever because there aren't any X client applications
available on the remote system, not even an xterm.  I suppose I could
build some myself (I am only a user though) but I don't really see
what advantages it would give me.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)