Re: Background mail composition

Chris, et al --

...and then Chris Green said...
%
% On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 07:53:07PM -0400, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > need to get back to the index but am not finished, but I also don't use X
% > or color with my mutt and people think I'm a wacko just for that :-)
% >
% Well I use (a little) colour but I don't use X with mutt because I
% can't.  I read my mail on a remote system via an ssh connection so

Yep.

% although I'm running X on the local (desktop) system that doesn't
% really help mutt on the remote system.

Basically my (laptop) setup, too.

%
% If I really want to look at som other mail while composing I just
% start up another ssh window to the remote system and run a second copy
% of mutt, it is a bit clumsy though so any way of automating the
% process would be useful.

Same except for using screen.

I can't imagine having to open a new window every time I wanted a
new connection.  That could be because 1) I start out with a dozen
connections anyway and 2) I'm a bit obsessive about where my terminal
windows are placed, but screen is definitely a lifesaver for me.  It's
much faster to "ctrl-a c" a new screen than to move a mouse, open a new
xterm, and ssh over (even with a private key as you have)!

As an added bonus, anything that I do is protected from being killed if
I get disconnected, which happens more often than I'd like even with DSL.

%
% For the record reading mail using mutt on a remote system via ssh
% works well for me as I can thus use the same copy of mutt from both

Right!  No matter where I am, I can always get to my mail.

% home and work.  I know I could use IMAP but I find mutt with local
% mailboxes more confortable and easier to use.

Bleah.  IMAP has its place but it doesn't have a place for me.

%
% --
% Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

HAND