Background mail composition

I'd like to compose mail in a different window/different
screen/background task, a la GUI clients.  So far, I've managed to get
this working for new messages by doing this:

macro   index   m       "<shell-escape>screen -X screen mutt ''\n"

(in other words, tell the current screen session to open a new screen in
the same session and run mutt with a blank "To" address)

Not a pretty solution, but it works.  You can presumably get similar
results by using "mutt '' &" or "xterm -e mutt '' &".  However, I can't
see how I'd do an equivalent trick when replying to an existing message.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, while looking around for the above macro, I found that in
command-lines like `mutt -f /dev/null -e 'exec quit'`, the '-e' argument
seems to be ignored because of the '-f'.  Should this be filed as a bug?

        - Andrew