Re: Background mail composition

On 14/10/03 15.35, Chris Green wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:30:26PM +0100, Andrew Sayers wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:20:38PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > > Surely the neatest way to get a different window is to fire off an X
> > > aware editor like xvile, it's text mode but launches its own window.
> > > Just tell mutt to use xvile as your editor and it's done for all cases
> > > that invoke the editor.
> >
> > But wouldn't that cause mutt to hang until you'd finished editing?
> > What I want is to be writing a message in one window/screen/job while
> > reading mail in another.
> >
> Not if you put an '&' at the end of the command to launc the editor.

Then I would imagine that mutt would look at the temporary file it
just created before it executed $EDITOR, notice that the file has not
been changed, and happily abort sending the message since nothing was
written. Or worse, if your setup allows unchanged messages, it will
show the compose screen where you can attach files and send or abort
the mail. That leaves us with two programs, unaware of eachothers
actions, accesing the same file (the message) at the same time.

Or at least that's what I imagine would happen, if I cared to try it.
AFAIK mutt assumes that when $EDITOR returns control to mutt, the
message is ready for inclusion in the mail being composed.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
                -- Albert Einstein