Re: How to send a return receipt

Quoting Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@xxxxxx>:

What you want is an invasion of privacy of every reader. It is not of
your concern if and when a user reads your mail.
Such a feature should never be part of mutt.

It is not of the sender's concern _only_ when the recipient says so. The recipient _could_ refuse to send a receipt. The recipient _could_ also want it otherwise, for business or legal or whatever reasons. The point here is, people and groups of people operate vastly differently, often in ways that we never think of.

So why should an MUA be so morally judgmental?

Besides if you are sending a mail to more than
one recipient or an alias, you will get a notification from every
recipient.

And _maybe_ that's what they want. And again that's not something the MUA(or its developers) should be in a position to decide.

What you want to do is bugging the MTA developpers to implement DSN (if
not already available) not MUA developpers.

Nobody is bugging anybody as far as I can see here. I won't stop using mutt just because it won't support mail receipts. In fact, I couldn't care less about mail receipts myself on a technical level. The reason I got involved in this debate is because I can't agree that a tool should decide whether a feature is socially appropriate or not for its users.

That, and maybe I'm just in the mood for philosophical argument these days.

Cheers.
--
Jing Xue