Re: How to send a return receipt

=- Patrick Schoenfeld wrote on Tue 16.Oct'07 at 22:26:05 +0200 -=

> Additional the feature (to be comparable) it is a notification
> that the sender asked for a return receipt and it is a
> one-action-thing to confirm this.
> {...}
> You keep talking like it was a simple configuration change, but
> thats not true.

Notify:
color header ^dispo... color1 color2
color index ~h '^dispo...' color3 color4
unignore dispo...

With the help of procmail and mutt's x-label feature you could do
other things, too, based on that Dispo... header.

One action: macro(s).

Simple to me.

> Off course it is possible to workaround the missing builtin
> support. But don't talk about it like it would be anything other
> then a workaround, cause that is what it basically is.

Well, milage varies. Some like mutt for its current nature of
simplicity and flexibility. Obviously not all do, and prefer mutt to
transform into some suit-all-easily beast, which requires some more
code not used by all/ many "classic" mutters. As usual, we never
know the exact numbers and therefore who's right.

> Tell me: Why do you keep telling something thats _untrue_?

It's true ... to me. I can only speak for myself based on what I
know and need (for your task).

> Consider the truth: It would be possible to achieve most of the
> requested feature by writting a script that is spawned when a
> message is displayed, using message-hooks.

No message-hooks needed.

> Its also possible to ask a question in this script.

Not needed either: when you see it, you decide to press the key or
not.

> So we reached the goal, didn't we? Yes, we did, but: We must
> depend upon at least two additional components (a script and an
> interpreter), the question is not well-integrated into mutt and so
> the solution is: error-prone and not as comfortable as it could.
> So it is possible, but it is everything but a configurable option.

So are many other things.
It's just one of many other "mutt must have".