Re: How to send a return receipt

Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 11:28:46AM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> > This is correct.  Mutt doesn't internally support MDNs.  A patch has
>
> Uhh, thats funny... in a not funny at all way. :-(
>
> > been posted by Werner Koch, but it might not be current.  Check the
> > mutt-dev archives.
>
> Hm. I will look for that patch. Any ideas why this has not been integrated
> into
> the main development tree of mutt?

The concept of mail receipts is poorly designed; there is no way to implement
a reliable receipt notification system with SMTP mail.  *Many* of the better
mail packages therefore do not implement support for it -- why have a feature
if you *know* it can never work properly?

It's also seen as an invasion of privacy.

Mail receipts are essentially one of those features that commercial MUA
vendors include as a marketing checkbox feature, but which serve little or no
useful purpose in the real world.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                             <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPL'ed software available at:               http://pyropus.ca/software/