Re: Can one 'filter' a message being viewed?

On 2006-10-13, Dave Dodge <dododge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:31:34AM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> > Another question I'm curious about is, (particularly since you're
> > using Mutt) why does it matter?  If you list-reply to a message, it
> > will go to the right list (assuming you configured mutt correctly).
>
> Replies aren't the issue.  This is just a matter of easy visual
> identification of threads when displayed in a large list.
>
> > If you only want to see mail from a particular list, you can use
> > limits to match on the list name.
>
> I don't usually have a particular list in mind.  Some of the lists I
> read can go for days or even weeks with no activity and then suddenly
> have a burst of discussions.  I'm also just skimming as I get the time
> and inclination, rather than reading everything immediately.  I like
> the interface of having all available content in one index and being
> able to quickly cherry-pick the discussions to look at, leaving the
> rest for later.  Some threads may sit there unread for days or weeks.
> I've got messages that are _years_ old that are still marked "new" for
> various reasons.
>
> > I've never understood why people consider this subject line munging
> > desireable; it obscures the subject, and it seems like there are
> > several much better solutions to the problem it tries to solve.
>
> When skimming through the big set of available therads I'm actually
> more interested in which list it's from and the thread size/activity
> level, than in the specific subject line.

Then how about adjusting your 'index_format' to include %B or to use
%L instead of %F, perhaps like this:

    :set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-10.10B %-15.15F (%4c) %s"

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division