Re: Can one 'filter' a message being viewed?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:31:34AM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> Another question I'm curious about is, (particularly since you're
> using Mutt) why does it matter?  If you list-reply to a message, it
> will go to the right list (assuming you configured mutt correctly).

Replies aren't the issue.  This is just a matter of easy visual
identification of threads when displayed in a large list.

> If you only want to see mail from a particular list, you can use
> limits to match on the list name.

I don't usually have a particular list in mind.  Some of the lists I
read can go for days or even weeks with no activity and then suddenly
have a burst of discussions.  I'm also just skimming as I get the time
and inclination, rather than reading everything immediately.  I like
the interface of having all available content in one index and being
able to quickly cherry-pick the discussions to look at, leaving the
rest for later.  Some threads may sit there unread for days or weeks.
I've got messages that are _years_ old that are still marked "new" for
various reasons.

> I've never understood why people consider this subject line munging
> desireable; it obscures the subject, and it seems like there are
> several much better solutions to the problem it tries to solve.

When skimming through the big set of available therads I'm actually
more interested in which list it's from and the thread size/activity
level, than in the specific subject line.

                                                  -Dave Dodge