Re: howto get mutt to display "circled numbers"

 On Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 14:56:44 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

> I see a circled one, "$A"Y(B", in both!! Theoretically, I should be able
> to send them, too. (Fingers crossed.)

    Great!

> We don't have this [localedef] command in NetBSD yet.

    Arggl... So you keep ja_JP.eucJP locale, and force $charset=eucJP-ms
in muttrc. Such contradiction is not clean, and generally is not
recommended. But here, what to do else? Hopefully possible drawbacks
will be minimal or none, thanks to charsets similarities... and thanks
to the (ahum!) relatively low level of locales support in this libc.

>| charset-hook ^euc-jp$ euc-jp-ms

    Having this line in muttrc may seem to make sense also for everybody
else, *if* iconv knows EUC-JP-MS. No drawbacks, and possible (small)
benefit even to non-Japanese. I adopted it in production.

    But if iconv ignores EUC-JP-MS, this charset-hook is catastrophic in
any other non-EUC-JP locales. That had to be said clearly.

    [$send_charset]
> Hmmm. I don't know about sending mail encoded in euc. How about:
> "...windows-1250:iso-2022-jp:iso-2022-jp-ms:utf-8"?

    Of course! You're right: Sending in EUC-JP is possible but probably
discouraged in front of 2022. We already discussed that long ago, I just
forgot. As for EUC-JP-MS, it doesn't seem to be an IANA allowed MIME
charset name.

    But ISO-2022-JP-MS is neither allowed. So might perhaps be good
"...:iso-2022-jp:utf-8", though leading more mails than you would want
to be sent in UTF-8. Like your 2 last ones. That's not a problem for
powerfull mailers, but hurts mailx to death...

    To be complete: I saw some Japanese people advocating sending
EUC-JP-MS content with a voluntarily liar EUC-JP label. I don't know
Japanese mail habits enough to comment about the balance of expected
benefits vs drawbacks. But to my external eyes, this looks much like
total heresy.

>> both a (one) and a (TM). Let's see: $A"Y(B $(D"o(B.
> I'm not sure about the (TM). I see some super-script kind of glyph,
> but I can't make out "TM".

    Small superscript capital letters TM? That must be it... Though for
the rest of the world it's a single column glyph, in Japanese/Asian
locales it's double-width. More exactly, depending on the font, it's a
single-width glyph /widened/ to double. That's not really good looking,
but is what I see in Japanese PuTTY, in Mincho, Gothic, Courrier New, or
Lucida fonts. Now, Lucida has no Kanjis nor $A"Y(B: Replaced by an empty
double-width box.

 On Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 15:01:49 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

> In nvi, the (TM) is some illegible superscript character. In mutt, it
> is a double-width, centered dot.

    This discrepency is unexpected. I see the same widened glyph in
Mutt, editor, and cat.

> my font (MS Gothic) does not have a glyph for that character?

    We once confirmed having the exact same Gothic font version 2.30,
right? And I see $(D"o(B. Perhaps the font lacks the glyph, but the display
engine kindly provides me a replacement. And this engine is surely
different between French and Japanese Windows... Pure hypothesis, as
I don't have any font editor or such to confirm from the inside.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Messages are better readable when formated on 72 columns, word-wrapped
without justification.