Re: howto get mutt to display "circled numbers"

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 04:01:24AM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Friday, July 14, 2006 at 17:44:50 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:31:19PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> >> bytes AD A1. This sequence is not defined in EUC-JP. It is defined in
> >> EUC-JISX0213
>
>     Searching better, it is also defined as double-width circled one in
> EUC-JP-MS, a superset of EUC-JP containing all its 13009 characters, and
> 2045 additional ones. And what Japanese PuTTY displays seems to be
> exactly this EUC-JP-MS. So hook, locale, and $charset=EUC-JP-MS might
> appear to be the optimal solution, but...
>
>     But big problem: Libiconv 1.10 doesn't support EUC-JP-MS at all. It
> can't work :-(. But it seems that some iconvs in Japan (which ones?) do

BUT it did work!! (Except for one glitch; see below.)  Alain, you never
cease to amaze me how you find things out.

Anyway, I changed to `` set charset="euc-jp-ms" '' in .muttrc, and now I see
the "correct rendering" of the body, just as I do in nvi or with system cat.

Subject: ^[$B$,%j^[(B

?? 構造検索の強化
?? 反応検索の強化

The glitch is that NOW the Subject is not converted to anything readable!
It's a real catch 22.  When I have euc-jp, I get double-width kana, "がリ",
but with euc-jp-ms, the Subject is as above "^[$B$,%j^[(B".

>     Conclusion: You'd better find a way to iconv EUC-JP-MS.

Maybe I'll write to Bruno Haible to see if he can help.

>     In the meantime I can propose an experimental dirty hack without
> warranty: Break iconv for those mails, hoping to see their raw content
> on your terminal, in pass-thru mode. For this, pretend they are written

Is this what I did in essence?  Is there some way to do it for the body
only, and do real conversions on the headers?

>     Tried here and it didn't work: Something interferes and octalises
> (one) to "\255\241". But YMMV.

Seems to have varied in good direction.

--
henry nelson