Re: howto get mutt to display "circled numbers"

 On Friday, July 14, 2006 at 17:44:50 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:31:19PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>> bytes AD A1. This sequence is not defined in EUC-JP. It is defined in
>> EUC-JISX0213

    Searching better, it is also defined as double-width circled one in
EUC-JP-MS, a superset of EUC-JP containing all its 13009 characters, and
2045 additional ones. And what Japanese PuTTY displays seems to be
exactly this EUC-JP-MS. So hook, locale, and $charset=EUC-JP-MS might
appear to be the optimal solution, but...

    But big problem: Libiconv 1.10 doesn't support EUC-JP-MS at all. It
can't work :-(. But it seems that some iconvs in Japan (which ones?) do
support it. Apparently Glibc 2.3.6 knows EUC-JP-MS: It can generate
locales, and iconv it.

> I tried three methods (^E and edit, hand edit charset-type before

    Well, all 3 methods worked: They corrected the wrong label. But
display the resulting (one) char, in a locale not having it... that's
another problem.

> 1) ^E and hand edit: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=euc-jp <<==
> Strange. It hasn't changed.

    Yes: <edit-type> changes only memory structures, Mutt's volatile
idea of what the mail contains. The actual header doesn't change.

> Is utf-8 the only answer?

    If you could iconv EUC-JP-MS, locales UTF-8 and EUC-JP-MS would be
two good answers. If you can't iconv EUC-JP-MS, even UTF-8 is not
optimal (trapped in the (one) xor (TM) alternative).

    Conclusion: You'd better find a way to iconv EUC-JP-MS.

    In the meantime I can propose an experimental dirty hack without
warranty: Break iconv for those mails, hoping to see their raw content
on your terminal, in pass-thru mode. For this, pretend they are written
in some unknown charset, why not just this one:

| charset-hook ^euc-jp$ euc-jp-ms

    Tried here and it didn't work: Something interferes and octalises
(one) to "\255\241". But YMMV.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
The Folding@home project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.