Re: howto get mutt to display "circled numbers"

Hi Henry!

 On Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 11:59:46 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

> mail that contains "circled numbers". In mutt, these show up as "??"

    The mail is labelled charset=euc-jp, but contains bytes AD A1. This
sequence is not defined in EUC-JP. It is defined in EUC-JISX0213 though,
as U+2460 CIRCLED DIGIT ONE. So it's a liar label case, subject to
correction by <edit-type> or charset-hook:

| charset-hook ^euc-jp$ euc-jisx0213

    ...does solve *this* problem. But I'm not sure it hasn't drawbacks
(like losing ™ U+2122 trade mark sign). BTW in libiconv you need
--enable-extra-encodings for EUC-JISX0213.

> [with] cat, they are displayed correctly as circled numbers.

    Probably your terminal is somewhere between or above euc-jp and
euc-jisx0213: I get both (one) and (TM) on PuTTY 0.56 + Japanese patch
in EUC-JP translation (printf "\xAD\xA1 \x8F\xA2\xEF\n"). No iconv known
charset has both those chars. Neither Glibc iconv. I don't know if it's
bug or feature in iconv or terminal. But (one) and (TM) are just
examples: Some hundreds of chars are specific to one or the other
charset.

Bye!    Alain.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.