Re: a little comparison of procmail and maildrop

I apologize for the continuation of this thread on the mutt list..
I've tried to subscribe to the procmail list as described on
http://www.procmail.org/ with no success.  If anyone can point me to
the real right way to subscribe to that list, I'd greatly appreciate
it.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:28:31AM -0500, Phil!Gregory wrote:
> * Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> [2003-10-31 10:59 -0500]:
> > :0
> > * ^TO_freebsd-questions@freebsd\.org
> > $LISTDIR/fbsd-q+n/
> Note that this approack will turn up false positives (mail sent to list
> but also Cc:ed to you) and false negatives (if someone Bcc:s the list).
> It's probably better to match on email headers specific to the list.  My
> collection of procmail rules includes:
>   # most lists - RFC2919 and some variants.
>   :0 fhw
>   * ^((List-Id|X-(Mailing-)?List):(.*[<]\/[^>@\.]*))
>   | formail -I "X-List-Classify: $MATCH"
#[... other rules snipped ...]
> (Then I have a rule later on that grabs X-List-Classify and actually
> handles the mail.)

I've seen something similar to this approach before.  I was wondering
how this compares, as far as efficiency, to just directly sorting,
based on matching the mailing list address.  Now that I think about
how it works a little more, it seems much more convenient.  What ends
up in the X-List-Classify: header?

Thanks,
 Allister

--