Re: save-hooks and mailinglists

Aron --

BTW, is there any reason all of your lines are padded out to 80 chars?
Did you perhaps copy one message into another?

...and then Aron Stansvik said...
%
% On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:35:15PM +0100, René Clerc wrote:
% > * Aron Stansvik <elvstone@xxxxxxx> [29-10-2003 16:29]:
% >
% > > Isn't this a feature that might be interesting? The ability to save
% > appropriate boxes?  This seems like a job for procmail and the like.
%
% Yes, I think that's how I want it. I guess this is a feature for those

% of us who don't subscribe to huge amounts of mailing lists and who like

Well, while I do subscribe to many, I don't think it's only for those
that do.  I even like to read all of my mail, though I haven't truly been
able to for a while now.

% to read all of our mail. In your reply I sense that this is not how most

% people do it, right? Is there a way to make the save-hooks apply

Pretty much.

% directly when I start Mutt, so that messages are in their respective

Not that comes to mind.

% mailbox when I start reading my mail? Or any other means than save-hooks

% to get this behaviour?

Not that comes to mind.  Well, not practical, anyway; if you save a
single message it will go where the hook tells it to, so you could have a
default hook to ensure that uncategorized mail does not get lost (maybe
save it in ! or maybe save it in =justaminute and then reload all of
that) and then just save-return-save-return-save-return your way down the
list (no doubt by macro).  And if you don't get much mail and aren't on
many lists and such you may only have one or two dozen mails to handle
like that and so it isn't completely insane.

%

% How do people usually manage their mailing lists when only using Mutt

One probably has a spool file, an mbox file for old stuff, and a sent
file for what has been sent.  Maybe, just maybe, folders for each
correspondent (save_name).

If you want your mail sorted, then you need a sorter, and mutt simply
doesn't try to be a sorter.

% (no procmail)? I know I should learn procmail, but if this could be done

% in Mutt, I would be more than happy, since I think procmail is somewhat

% overkill for me :)

So learn maildrop or any other delivery agent :-)  There are plenty of
them out there.

%

% Sincerely,

% Aron Stansvik
%
% --
% unemployed

Hey, you should have plenty of time to learn procmail, then ;-)  [But my
heart bleeds for you as I'm in the same boat.]

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"