Re: save-hooks and mailinglists

Aron, et al --

...and then Aron Stansvik said...
%
% On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:22:30PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > BTW, is there any reason all of your lines are padded out to 80 chars?
% > Did you perhaps copy one message into another?
%
% Yea, sorry about that, after I realized I sent my reply to your personal
% address and not to the list, I copied it from a 80 column wide terminal
% and re-sent it to the list, my mistake.

Ahhh...  I suspected as much; sometimes when I copy out of screen under
xterm I get that (I think it's a freebsd vs linux difference).

%
% > ...and then Aron Stansvik said...
% > %
% > % mailbox when I start reading my mail? Or any other means than save-hooks
% > % to get this behaviour?
% >
% > Not that comes to mind.  Well, not practical, anyway; if you save a
% > list (no doubt by macro).  And if you don't get much mail and aren't on
% > many lists and such you may only have one or two dozen mails to handle
% > like that and so it isn't completely insane.
%
% I guess not, I'll figure something out, or get myself a decent sorter
% instead.

I highly recommend the latter :-)

%
% > % How do people usually manage their mailing lists when only using Mutt
% > If you want your mail sorted, then you need a sorter, and mutt simply
% > doesn't try to be a sorter.
%
% No, I guess not. I'll look into procmail, maybe it's not so much of a
% science as I think it is.

It's pretty straightforward once you take a few minutes to look at it.
I hear people who complain about procmail's complexity also praising
maildrop's simplicity, so you might look there, too.

%
% > % unemployed
% >
% > Hey, you should have plenty of time to learn procmail, then ;-)  [But my
% > heart bleeds for you as I'm in the same boat.]
%
% Sucks, don't it? :)

Yeah.  I got one contract through a contact on this list; maybe if we
talk about it enough while sprinkling mutt topica around one or both of
us could land another ;-)

%
% Thanks for your elaborate answers anyway.

You're quite welcome!

%
% Sincerely,
% Aron Stansvik