Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6?

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 08:54:07AM -0800, Brendan Cully wrote:
> I'm still not convinced mutt should be a newsreader.

The argument to include some form of NNTP support  seems unbelievably
simple and obvious to me.  Individual usenet messages are essentially
identical to individual e-mail messages, and to many, many users of
usenet, reading and posting to Usenet groups is (from the user's
perspective) 100% identical (or very close) to reading and posting to
mailing lists.  It's a marriage made in heaven.

Caveat: I have not used Usenet in probably 10 years or so.

I think the main argument against the NNTP patch (specifically) being
included is that there are a number of ways in which it is deficient
(compared to other mail readers), and as such it does not represent
Mutt well.  Perhaps if people could come up with a list of
deficiencies, and some people could improve the patch to fix those
deficiencies, there would be no good reason NOT to include the patch.
After all, those who don't want the functionality can simply configure
mutt without it...

-=-=-=-=-