Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6?

On Monday, 26 February 2007 at 18:37, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hi, Brendan Cully!
>
> Sometime (on Thursday, February 22 at 19:31) I've received something...
> >I intend to cut 1.5.14 this weekend. I'd like to make 1.5.15 the last
> >proper dev release for 1.6 - that is, feature-freeze after
> >1.5.15. So, I'd like to hear once again which patches everyone would
> >like to see in 1.6 (and which patches people object to).
>
> >On my list at the moment:
> >I'll probably apply my ESMTP patch (*dons flame suit*)
> >And I think the configurable umask patch is handy.
>
> >assumed-charset might be a good idea too.
>
> >I do not intend to visit the great config-var rename topic until after
> >1.6 by the way. I think it would need too much time to deal with the
> >fallout.
>
>     When it will be time to include NNTP support into Mutt? It is very
> stable for years (as old as century) and is need by many people so they
> have to patch all Mutt sources by themself (and still no localizations
> are available for NNTP because it's patch).
>     Please, don't start any war again - using some sorts of external
> programs (that are still mail<->news gateways) isn't efficient way to
> work with NNTP due to many unavoidable restrictions.

I'm still not convinced mutt should be a newsreader. But Michael
Elkins has mentioned an interest in creating a plug-in system for
mutt, which I think would be a fairly nice way to add NNTP support
without having to patch mutt itself. I think it's a good idea, and one
I've even started on myself a couple of times in the past.