Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6?

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:07:13AM -0800, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 February 2007 at 14:32, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 11:09:13 -0700, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > > For simplicity and sanity, I really like the crypt-autoselectkey patch
> > > (http://www.woolridge.org/mutt/crypt-autoselectkey.html).
> >
> > I second this one. Very practical indeed, and even annoying when
> > missing. ;-)
>
> Reading it over, I'm not sure why it isn't the default behaviour. Has
> anyone ever raised any objections to this patch? I'd be tempted to
> strip the option part out.

Yes, Thomas did actually, when I complained about this behavior way
back in 2002:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-dev&m=104007060428756&w=2

For reference, my original message is here (not that there's much
point in actually reading it):

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-dev&m=101042933302207&w=2

While Thomas's explanation was a bit vague, I believe his reasoning
was basically sane, at least at heart.  Though, after 5 years I've
forgotten the details, and IIRC even after his explanation I'm pretty
sure I felt the behavior was actually rather backwards.

If I'm not mistaken, Mutt would match an *e-mail address* in the
pgp-hook without prompting, but would not match a *key ID* without
prompting.  Though I may well be mistaken.  If not, this seems
obviously backwards to me...  The key ID is far less likely to
encounter a collision than a regular expression matching an e-mail
address.  I believe there also has been some work to improve this
since that time, though I believe the actual change was not very
substantial, and as I mentioned I have lost track of all the
salient details.  I imagine Thomas would know much better.

-=-=-=-=-