Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6?

On Thursday, February 22 at 09:30 AM, quoth Brendan Cully:
So, I'd like to hear once again which patches everyone would like to see in 1.6 (and which patches people object to).

Ooo! Wishlist time!

Well, I think a valid set of patches to examine are the ones that Debian applies. They've got a good list, and their patches are also pretty well tested. The ones that I really appreciate are the compressed-folders patch and the xtitles patch.

For simplicity and sanity, I really like the crypt-autoselectkey patch (http://www.woolridge.org/mutt/crypt-autoselectkey.html).

On my list at the moment:
I'll probably apply my ESMTP patch (*dons flame suit*) And I think the configurable umask patch is handy.

assumed-charset might be a good idea too.

I like 'em all.

Another one that I really like is the colorized status bar feature (http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/mutt/#cstatus). Essentially, it makes `color status ...` work similar to `color body ...` in that you can color things that match specific patterns.

And finally, though there is no current patch that I'm aware of that fixes these, there are two rough spots in the IMAP code that could stand some improvement. Specifically, first, reconnecting after a timeout (i.e. because it took a while to compose a message) to save the FCC of a message doesn't currently work. Also, it would be fantastic if someone would look at the IMAP reconnection code and found what part of the SASL interface causes it to segfault when reconnecting. (Here's a thread detailing the problem that identified SASL as the culprit: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=116843582800002&r=1&w=2).

If all that was added for 1.6, I'd be one happy clam. If it isn't, well, I'll just keep patching. But hey, it feels good to get if off my chest. ;)

~Kyle
--
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud, after a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.
                                                           -- Unknown