Re: mutt/1296: iso date/time format by default

On 2005-10-01 12:33:15 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> As usual, you have forgotten about the much larger universe on which
> Mutt runs;

I haven't.

> you have limited your thinking very narrowly to modern
> Linux systems.

I haven't (I'm currently using Mac OS X, and ditto for Mac OS X,
I had to choose a language before being able to use it).

>  There is a whole host of Unix systems that it runs on, which by
> default do in fact get installed with either C or POSIX locales.

This is not the case of every system.

> More modern systems may generally ask a user to choose a locale, but
> even on those, the default is usually still an English locale.

On systems where a language is asked for at installation (or first-use)
time, there is no default, since the user must choose a language.

In a network environment, the locale may come from the default
configuration chosen by the administrators, and so on.

> > > so on such system Mutt talks English by default.
> >
> > No.
>
> Sorry, but Alain is correct.

He isn't.

> On any system which uses a default locale of C or POSIX, mutt does
> in fact use English by default.

This is not every system.

> > > You missed the "*full default system*" part of my phrase.
> >
> > No, you're wrong. The default system (but does this mean anything?)
>
> In English, saying "no, you're wrong" is generally considered rude and
> arrogant.

This is more or less what you're doing. And distorting my remarks
as you did above is even more nasty.

> It is very blunt. It isn't rude to disagree with people, of course;
> but to state your disagreement this way comes across as contemptuous
> and disrespectful. And it makes you look even worse when it is
> actually you who is mistaken, as in this case.

No, I'm not.