Re: How to assign a permanent address in the Bcc: field?

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:32:18PM +1000, Pete Johns wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 21:02:48 +0000, Byspel sent:
> -------------------------------^^^^^
> Are you sure this is the correct time?

It's not. I use a stripped down version of linux slackware
(I love minimalistic!) which doesn't have the time zone
package. If this can be easily fixed by somehow telling mutt
to use hardware local time, fine, otherwise this issue is
not very important to me.

> Actually, this may be a better solution:
[Corrected version follows]
macro generic "<esc>1" "<enter-command>set from=x2@xxxxxx hostname=y2.net
realname=name<enter><enter-command>my_hdr Bcc:
x1@xxxxxx<enter><enter-command>set hostname<enter>" "Set account to y1.net"
[End of corrected version]

> This will echo "hostname=y2.net" to the message-line without you
> having to press enter.

No, actually it's not, because I have more than one account at
hostname=y2.net, so I need a way to make a distinction between
accounts.
If there is a way to add something like 'echo xx@xxxxxx' to the
line to produce that effect, that would be great.

Further: is there a way I can pass msmtp (my smtp client for mutt)
an occasional on-the-fly command line setting (e.g. '--account=account')
from within mutt while composing a message (I use vi as the editor
on my system)? Non-occasional settings are already taken care of by the
.msmtprc configuration file.

Which brings up the subject: should I install vim in the place of
vi? I noticed you use vim and are very knowledgeable, so you are
in a good position to give me good advice. I use the traditional
vi (ex-vi) which is a mere 200KB. Would it make sense for me to go
to the trouble of adding several MB of used space to my system for
vim's sake? Keep in mind that I do not do any hard
core programming and use my minimalistic system basically only for
email, news and web browsing from the console (and for learning
my way around little jewels such as vi... ;-))

A last one: I noticed most of you guys use the latest development
version of mutt. I installed the latest stable mutt (1.4.2.1)
only because I assumed it was the right thing for me to do. I
am looking for stability and reliability, and not to experiment
with new features that might be unreliable. Are there any advantages
for me to switch to 1.5.11 or should I stay with 1.4.2.1?

Sorry about all these questions... I should have probably started
different threads under more appropriate headings for those, but
then, again, should I have?

> Stay tuned for more Happy Days!
>
> Best;

Thank you so much,