Re: Question about the sendmail_wait variable

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:13:25AM -0600, Will Maier wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:51:12PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > What would be really nice would be a way to keep the link to the
> > remote sendmail open all the time that mutt is running rather than
> > having to start it up and stop it for each individual mail.
>
> What version is your OpenSHH client? If it's >=4.2[*], you can easily
> set up a 'master' connection to your mail server. This master
> connection is presented as a socket in your ~/.ssh/ directory;
> subsequent ssh connections to that same host will check to see if
> there's a master socket available. If so, the socket is used -- if
> not, a new connection is made.
>
> For example, add the following to your ~/.ssh/config:
>
>     Host mailserver
>         ControlPath ~/.ssh/ctl-%r-%h-%p
>       ControlMaster auto
>
> Connections to 'mailserver' via ssh will a) check to see if a socket
> for that host exists, b) if socket exists, use it, and c) create a
> new socket if none is found. This saves on authentication and
> encryption overhead on each following connection to the same host.
>
> OpenSSH v4.2 added the modulo-expandables as well as the 'auto'
> option for ControlMaster; these additions make this feature much
> more usable.
>
> Alternatively, you should be able to use ssh's port forwarding to
> accomplish the same goal.
>
> [*] Clients where 3.9 < $VERSION < 4.2 can also do ControlMaster
> stuff, but it's more cumbersome.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.  My OpenSSH is currently 3.8 but I
can possibly upgrade, though it's not always trivial as the system is
Solaris 2.6, rather old.

Ah, openssh version 4.2 is available at sunfreeware.com, I'll upgrade
and see how I get on.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."