Re: Question about the sendmail_wait variable

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:49:33PM +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> Chris Green escribe:
> > Under sendmail_wait in the documentation it says:-
> >
> > "Note that if you specify a value other than 0, the output of the
> > child process will be put in a temporary file. If there is some error,
> > you will be informed as to where to find the output."
> >
> > I have sendmail_wait set to -1 but have never received anything
> > indicating an error, since it puts the sendmail process in the
> > background I don't really see how I could get an error.
> >

> > More to the point is there any way to get the background sendmail to
> > indicate if it didn't/doesn't work?  What I'd really like is to call
> > sendmail as a background task but, if it fails to send the mail within
> > a reasonable time (e.g. ten seconds or so) then I want to get some
> > sort of indication that the send has failed.
>
> I guess that setting sendmail_wait to -1 your only chance is looking
> at your MTA logs.

It's not even that easy, what I'm actually doing is using a remote
sendmail through an ssh 'pipe'.  The problem is that I get no warning
when the ssh connection isn't working - like recently when the IP
address of the remote (sendmail) end changed and I forgot that my
muttrc file needed changing to match.  There can of course be other
reasons for the ssh to fail so it's a general requirement to avoid
losing mail, or at least to know it's not being sent.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."