Question about the sendmail_wait variable

Under sendmail_wait in the documentation it says:-

"Note that if you specify a value other than 0, the output of the
child process will be put in a temporary file. If there is some error,
you will be informed as to where to find the output."

I have sendmail_wait set to -1 but have never received anything
indicating an error, since it puts the sendmail process in the
background I don't really see how I could get an error.

More to the point is there any way to get the background sendmail to
indicate if it didn't/doesn't work?  What I'd really like is to call
sendmail as a background task but, if it fails to send the mail within
a reasonable time (e.g. ten seconds or so) then I want to get some
sort of indication that the send has failed.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."