Re: Question about the sendmail_wait variable

On 2006-01-05 at 15:51 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> What would be really nice would be a way to keep the link to the
> remote sendmail open all the time that mutt is running rather than
> having to start it up and stop it for each individual mail.

Untested: use a minimal local sendmail command which tries to talk to a
configurable port via SMTP; there are several available.  Forward that
port to the remote server via SSH in a wrapper around mutt.

~/bin/mutt:
  #!/bin/sh
  ssh -N -L 2525:localhost:25 my.ssh.host &
  sshpid=$!
  /usr/bin/mutt "$@"
  kill $sshpid

And have the local MTA pass to localhost:2525.
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.