Re: alternates, was: scrollbar is sluggish

On 14Dec2005 14:37, patrick shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| * Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-14-05 12:43]:
| > Hmm, interesting -- my manual (1.5.11) says:
| >
| >    alternates regexp [ , regexp [ ... ]]
| >    unalternates [ * | regexp [ , regexp [ ... ]] ]
|

| K, I'm a little behind, 1.5.9i.
|
| Usage: [un]alternates regexp [ regexp ... ]
|
| this indicates a space, if I understand, but I have used '|' since
| 1.2.5.1......
|
| and it does work!

That would be because you are supplying one regexp containing several
regexp-syntax alternatives, versus the spaced version with is several
regexps.

i.e. you are going

        alternates a|b|c        # one regexp

and others are going

        alternates a b c        # three regexps

Each should work as the net effect is the same.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply
do as I advise. - Gore Vidal