Re: Signature formatting

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:40:54AM EST, David T-G wrote:
> ...and then steVe said...

> % just for clarity, are you suggesting that your address book will have
> % a personalized sig entry for each entry in the db?  i think that would be
> % pretty nice, as you wouldn't have to muck around with mutt's alias
> % file...(and tons of send-hooks) which can be hiddeously hard to manage.
> % but you're basically re-implementing a send-hook, no?  If that's the case,
> % why stop with signatures?  you can add a bunch of other things like
> % character encoding, my_hdr's, etc etc... but then i guess you have to
> % think, where do you draw the line between send-hook and address-book?
>
> You don't! :-)  And I love all of these ideas and more; if I'm going to
> implement a new contact manager then it had better be *really* worth it.

Yup, I had some major reasons for implementing my own contact manager.
I wanted something designed from the ground up to have a simple data
format (real biggie), a highly extensible list of attributes (another
real biggie - you wanna be reminded of a guy's BDay, for instance, no?
Why not just store it right in your contact DB?), and an easy export path
to arbitrary third-party apps (also kinda important - big pain spending
years coding a stupid RC generator).  In the process, I also achieved
a relatively easy import path from some third-party apps (Mutt, for
instance - where I didn't even have to rebind the create-alias function
to get it to work sensibly - it works as-is right out of the box using
an alias queue).  I've also gotten a whole slew of other nifty features
for free, but the three big reasons are _the_ reasons why I didn't go
with a preexisting contact manager.

I hope that cleared up any possible questions :-)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel