Re: Signature formatting

so spake David Yitzchak Cohen [2004.03.10 @ 23:57]:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:14:50PM EST, David T-G wrote:
> > ...and then Aaron said...
>
> > % Is there any way that I can have mutt add a blank line above the '-- '
> > % of my signature so that when I begin to insert text there is already a
> >
> > Not really, but I have sigdashes turned off and start my sig file with
> > the blank line above ':-D' and build the rest by hand.  It works out the
> > same in the end :-)
> >
> > I've tinkered with hooks to add 'HTH & HAND' to list postings, since I'm
> > usually offering help (but not uncommonly asking for it!), or 'Love,' on
> > posts to family members, but in the end I'm *way* too lazy to automate
> > that -- and that's probably a good thing in the long run :-)
>
> Hmm, I think you may've just given me another idea for a new feature.
> I'll sleep on it, and maybe I'll add it to my address book.  I need to
> think about how to do it, though.  Should we have signatures by group?
> Should we have signatures by nickname?  Should we have signatures by
> email addy?  How about signature components on a group/nickname/email
> basis?  Maybe we want to change signatures by language (like my mailing
> list config does)?  Do we want some sort of override mechanism, perhaps
> using standard hooks?
>
> There are lots of questions, and I need to think.  As always, a listful
> of brains is better than one, so comments/suggestions/questions/etc. are
> more than welcome.  Finally, it's important to note that much of my
> development is driven by requests, so feel free to just push your own
> agenda at me if you want.  I may not implement what you want how you
> want, but I'll listen, and offer assistance if you decide to make the
> modifications yourself :-)
>
>  - Dave
>
> --
> Uncle Cosmo, why do they call this a word processor?
> It's simple, Skyler.  You've seen what food processors do to food, right?
>
> Please visit this link:
> http://rotter.net/israel

i do a bunch of sig changing with send-hooks and folder-hooks as it
is.  granted, it's not the most robust of solutions, but it works...
just for clarity, are you suggesting that your address book will have
a personalized sig entry for each entry in the db?  i think that would be
pretty nice, as you wouldn't have to muck around with mutt's alias
file...(and tons of send-hooks) which can be hiddeously hard to manage.
but you're basically re-implementing a send-hook, no?  If that's the case,
why stop with signatures?  you can add a bunch of other things like
character encoding, my_hdr's, etc etc... but then i guess you have to
think, where do you draw the line between send-hook and address-book?

p.s.-davidtg-
shpx ebg guvegrra gbb! - you rock... =)

--
     ste\/e