Re: charset fixing at display time

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 04:53:28PM +0100, Ton wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 11:29:54AM -0200, Carlos Laviola wrote:

> > > Carlos,
> > >
> > > At the moment I am wrestling with the charsets too. I am using Mutt
> > > 1.5.4i (2003-03-19). Can this version also display ë and ü correctly? At
> > > the moment, accents like these appear as either question marks or
> > > numbers...

I'm on CVS, and have no problem seeing your e and u with diarhesis on top.
(I'm on UTF, like Carlos.)

> > Well, like I said, it's surely a minor locale problem.  You seem to be
> > using (and correctly reporting that you're using) ISO-8859-15, which
> > makes it trivial for mutt to display your accents.
> >
> > Which problem are you having anyway? :-)
>
> I am sorry, but I cannot set the locale of my system correctly. I have
> done dpkg-reconfigure locales and have chosen NL.nl@euro but still, when
> I type in 'locale', all I see is LANG=C and everything C. The system
> setting of locales has no effect on existing users, so it seems.

The "system setting" of locales doesn't really exist.  dpkg-reconfigure
doesn't set your locale; it simply makes a new locale available to
your system.  Users still need to set their LANG and/or LC_* environment
variables for themselves.

> Apologies if this is off topic, but all other programs, like VIM and
> Links, show the accents correctly; it's just Mutt that shows the accents
> as numbers.

Apologies if this is off-topic, but:
"all other programs I use regularly on my system" != "all other programs"
Mutt uses your C library to determine how to display stuff.  It's (a)
correct, and (b) far more flexible, since you can simply tell your system
you want stuff working differently (by hacking your libc in extreme cases,
or in less extreme cases simply changing your LC_* environment variables
and/or tweaking locales), and all programs that use libc correctly will
automatically adapt without even having to be recompiled.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel