Re: charset fixing at display time

* On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 Stephen (kru_tch@xxxxxxxx) muttered:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 05:50:46PM +0100 or thereabouts, Michael Tatge wrote:
> > * On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 Stephen (kru_tch@xxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > > Generating locales...
> >
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> > /etc/environment || a shell skript setting the locales
>
> Ok, while I don't mind doing some, work, the above is sufficiently
> cryptic, to be next to useless to me. Would you mind elaborating?

Generating the locals is not enough. You need to set the locale
environment variables, too.
This could be done ether by using debians /etc/environment file, or by
your own shell skript.

1. /etc/environment
a simple var=value file.
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_CTYPE="en_US"

2. shell skript you could use ~/.bash_profile
export LC_MESSAGES="C"
export LC_CTYPE="en_US"

HTH,

Michael
--
The less time planning, the more time programming.

PGP-Key: http://www-stud.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~tatgeml/public.key