charset fixing at display time

Some email arrive with eight bit characters that are not interpreted
correctly.  Mostly, these are punctuation: octal 222 for single quote,
octal 223 and 224 for double quotes, octal 226 for dash.

One way to handle this is to have my text/plain viewer make the
modifications.  This is what I am currently doing.

(Another way is to get the senders to reform their ways and do proper
charset tagging instead of none or us-ascii.)

Is there a better way?

--
 Jeff