Re: charset fixing at display time

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 05:55:09PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Some email arrive with eight bit characters that are not interpreted
> correctly.  Mostly, these are punctuation: octal 222 for single quote,
> octal 223 and 224 for double quotes, octal 226 for dash.
>
> One way to handle this is to have my text/plain viewer make the
> modifications.  This is what I am currently doing.
>
> (Another way is to get the senders to reform their ways and do proper
> charset tagging instead of none or us-ascii.)
>
> Is there a better way?

You should be using en_US as your locale.  If by running 'locale' (the
actual command) either LANG and/or LC_ALL are set to 'C' or 'POSIX',
you're not going to see any accents on mutt.

On Debian, you should dpkg-reconfigure locales, tell it to generate
en_US (or en_GB, or whatever) and use it.  Or wrestle with en_US.UTF-8
like me, but it's hell on earth these days...

--
Carlos Laviola <carlos@xxxxxxxxxxx>