Re: vi/vim/elvis/* (was "Re: Strip SIG on reply")

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > Solaris vi goes to the end of the word.
> > (It repeats the beeping - in vile I made that behavior optional).
>
> Okay, now this is getting even more interesting. . .
>
> Tru64's (BSD-based) VI stops at the start of the last word and starts

A lot of Tru64 (OSF/1) is original implementation rather than being copied
from older sources.  While technically accurate, it tends to not have a
lot of legacy quirks.  (For the other extreme, see HPUX).

> beeping away, like elvis.  Now, does that mean BSD's VIs all behave
> like elvis?  Do we have any *BSD dudes here who can help out?  (I'm way
> too tired to hop on the console of my local firewall at this hour.)
> My next question would be about SunOS's VI.  (Unfortunately, I have no

like Solaris, SunOS's vi goes to the end of the word.  Ditto IRIX64.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net