[OT] About OT (was: Re: Backlogging Mutt?)

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:09:06PM +0000, Stewart V. Wright wrote:
> * David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [031202 11:51]:

> > I'm begining to regret having asked how you did that ... the amount of
> > argument that has gone on over it!  I seem to be really good at starting
> > these types of never-ending threads, eh?
>
> You and me both!  I'd like it if people on certain lists (*hint*
> *hint*) took WOT discussions they way that they are generally
> intended:
>   "My day at work/school/home has been sufficiently bad that a
>    mindless, pointless and daft comment is needed to lighten things up
>    and IS NOT intended to cause offence, discomfort, or _god forbid_ a
>    serious reply!"

IMHO, people who want to stick to the topic should simply delete (or
toss from procmailrc) OT messages without having to read them.  This is
a high-volume list even without the OT stuff, so nobody can argue that
the OT stuff is responsible for the high-traffic nature of this list (and
even if it were, blocking all the OT stuff would make it a low-traffic
list for those who want it so).  The primary advantage of maintaining
threads that go OT is that they tend to come back on-topic in a totally
different place with a brand new perspective on something fundamental;
I hate it when those posts end up happening in private mail because some
grumpy old dude chased the discussion off-list.

> OT:  Perhaps there is a call for a mutt-users-WOT list...

I already formally proposed such a list, with the blessing and commitment
to "make it so" of the Mutt mailing list admin.  My post got exactly
zero replies, so I figured the matter wasn't worth persuing any further.
Clearly, the grumpy old guys who complain about threads going OT either
(a) don't really read most of what goes on here anyway, so it doesn't
matter; or (b) don't really want OT-bound threads to go off our list here,
instead preferring to fight with the posters to take the discussion to
private mail.  (The alert among y'all'll notice that (b) is a very good
way to waste loads of time, so (a) becomes far more likely.  Clearly,
grumpiness is a downward spiral, and as such must be avoided at all
costs if at all possible.  Now, if all them grumpy dudes of the world
could only be convinced of said factoid. . .)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel