Re: Maildir question

Sergei Kolobov <lists-mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2003-11-26 at 08:18 -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > djb has stated that the above is a complete list of what a maildir may
> > contain; nothing else is allowed.
>
> Do you have a reference, by any chance?
> I would be interested to see that statement...

Hmmm, not in a public archive.  Here's the reply from djb when Chris
specifically asked for clarification on this point after discussing it with
me:

  From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@xxxxxxxx>
  To: Chris Garrigues <cwg-dated-1046893610.066f6a@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Cc: Charles Cazabon <bikini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: Clarification on Maildir spec

  Chris Garrigues writes:
  > Are those four items a exhaustive list of other things that may be in
  > the Maildir?

  Yes. The list can be extended but is global.

  ---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
  Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

> > I investigated this at some length when creating the example
> > implementation of the BikINI protocol server (now in mothballs).
>
> Are you saying it is not worked on anymore? What happened?  The concept
> looked good to me... :(

The protocol was mostly spec'ed and the example server worked fine.  I wrote a
trivial example client to test it with, but the other promised client
implementations didn't show up, so I never had anything else to test it with
-- and I lacked sufficient time to hack mutt to support the protocol.  So
until someone else does some client work, or I get a lot of free time, the
project sits dormant, I guess.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                             <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPL'ed software available at:     http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/