Re: Maildir question

(Sorry for replying to an old thread, I am still catching up on my
mailing lists)

On 2003-11-17 at 12:01 -0500, David T-G wrote:
> I *could* have family/dad/ as a maildir with dad-boats/ under that,
> but it's wrong.

Why? The spec does NOT prevent you from doing that - see below.

> See
>
>   http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html
>
> for the full spec.

Quoting the last part of the document at the above URL:

        "Can a maildir contain more than tmp, new, cur?

        Yes:

        .qmail: used to do direct deliveries with qmail-local.
        bulletintime: empty file, used by system-wide bulletin programs.
        bulletinlock: empty file, used by system-wide bulletin programs.
        seriallock: empty file, used to serialize AutoTURN."

I interpret this part of the Maildir spec as to not denying nested
Maildirs. Re-reading the spec in full confirms that, IMHO.

On 2003-11-17 at 14:59 -0500, David T-G wrote:
> ...and then Allister MacLeod said...

> % anyone point out a good reason why adhering to the "only
> % {cur,new,tmp}" rule is important?  My favorite would be sort of a
>
> Mostly because that's the spec, and anything outside the spec is
> undefined.

Exactly. Undefined does not mean illegal.

> % compromise between your scheme, David, and Courier-IMAP's.

This is what I have:

=FreeBSD
=FreeBSD/PRs
=FreeBSD/cvs
=FreeBSD/cvs/src
=FreeBSD/cvs/src/old
=FreeBSD/cvs/stable
=FreeBSD/cvs/doc
=FreeBSD/cvs/ports
=FreeBSD/cvs/ports/misc
=FreeBSD/cvs/projects
=FreeBSD/ports
=FreeBSD/ports/tools

(all of these are Maildirs)

Neither Mutt, nor OfflineIMAP (which I use to synchronize my laptop with
the server) do not have any problems with this setup.

> That does sound nice, but what if you wanted to have a nested maildir
> named tmp for all of the mail you had to park for a while, or cur for
> your discussion of mongrel dogs?  Saying "you can't have those names"
> isn't fair to the users, who shouldn't have to know about internals.

It's up to MUAs and servers (IMAP, etc.) to prevent from creating nested
Maildirs with new,cur,tmp names. Users shouldn't have to know about the
internals. ;)

My 2 cents.

Sergei