Re: set editor, switching from vim to emacs

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:42:20AM +0100, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> * Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> [Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:16:12PM
> -0500]:
> > What I do is use a folder-hook.  That is, I sort all mailing-list mail
> > into separate folders (using procmail).  Then, in my .muttrc I have:
... folder-hook LISTS\.mutt "bind r list-reply"
> Here also...
> > just shorten it down to 'folder-hook LISTS ...' to catch all of my
> But this requires maintained LISTs file, doesn't it?

Negative.  The first argument of folder-hook is a regular expression
to match folder name(s).  In my case, I have procmail sort all mailing
list messages into folders named like LISTS.mutt and LISTS.guile.  So,
matching on LISTS works fine for me (as I just recently tested).  If
your corresponding folders are not characterized by a common
substring, you'll need either separate folder-hook statements, or a
compound regex something like "(mutt|emacs|linux)".

> > mail, but as far as I know it does not do this.  Perhaps a patch is in
> > order :)
> Highly needed!

Well, hopefully some helpful developer will step forward and implement
smart list-reply.  :)

> > Of course. :^) I'm not certain, but I think that emacs starts up
> > slightly faster in non-graphical mode.  At any rate, I think both are
> I meant, a beast to become familyar with. And when coming from vim
> this ESC key has to be avoided by all mental power. Or removed for a
> time... Thats because I am considering using emacs. And syntax
> highlightning has to rock in console, because I am a aterm/xterm geek
> (mutt, slrn, emacs -nw, irssi, centericq and all that stuff) :)

Ahh..  So a beast like the Minotaur at the center of the Labyrinth of
Crete. :^)  The nice thing about emacs is that its documentation is
copious and (to a reasonable extent) thorough.  The embedded tutorial
and emacs-lisp-intro are invaluable for getting started.

Au revoir,
 Allister

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> | http://amacleod.is-a-geek.org/