Re: set editor, switching from vim to emacs

(I'm going to repost this back to the list, in case the following
folder-hook info might be useful to more people)

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:47:03PM +0100, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> * Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> [Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:27:51PM
> -0500]:
> > > Damn, this elisp code looks really ill :)
> Yes, it was a joke, seems to be nifty in the end because it does a
> good job :)

Heh..  The only exposure to nonstandard definitions of "ill" I have is
listening to music by the Beastie Boys.  ("what's the time?  it's time
to get ill!")

> > By the way, since I am subscribed to the mutt-users list, there's no
> > need to CC me when replying.  Usually it's a safe bet that if someone
> > wants to be carbon copied on list replies, they'll say so in their
> Yes of course, sorry for that. I realize now an advantage of
> emacslient, I can see your mail headers in the other aterm :)

Yeah, for the longest time I happily edited messages in a separate
emacs window, leaving mutt in the xterm by itself.  The only problem I
had with it was when the emacs window ended up far enough away from my
pointer that mouse-focus took a non-negligible amount of effort. :)

> Well, what I wanted to say are two things:
> first:
> I am annoyed for
> myself getting mails from mailing lists CCed to my private address,

Don't worry about it, at least in this case :-)  I just wanted to
point it out, once I realized that you had posted to the list as well.

> second:
> When I cruise with mutt trough mailing lists I hit reply sometimes
> begin to type and realize I am addressing personal address. I than add
> the ml address into CC fielsd by hand. I now there is "L" for mls, but
> I forget every time...
> I have to find out if there is an automatism, which tries to answer to
> an mail list address first when hitting "r". Is that possible?
> Is on todolist now :)

What I do is use a folder-hook.  That is, I sort all mailing-list mail
into separate folders (using procmail).  Then, in my .muttrc I have:

bind pager R reply
bind index R reply
folder-hook . "bind pager r reply"
folder-hook . "bind index r reply"
folder-hook LISTS.mutt "bind pager r list-reply"
folder-hook LISTS.mutt "bind index r list-reply"

.. and so on for other folders with lists.  I think I could probably
just shorten it down to 'folder-hook LISTS ...' to catch all of my
lists folders, but I have not yet tested this.

It might make sense for mutt's <list-reply> command to be a smart
reply, so that it would fall back to normal <reply> on a non-list
mail, but as far as I know it does not do this.  Perhaps a patch is in
order :)

> > Thanks and happy mutting,
> and heavy emacsing, damn is that a beast :P

Of course. :^) I'm not certain, but I think that emacs starts up
slightly faster in non-graphical mode.  At any rate, I think both are
several orders of magnitude faster than MSWord's startup time.

Do svidanya,
 Allister

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> | http://amacleod.is-a-geek.org/