Re: Cycling through folders

* Colin J. Raven <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-16-03 10:12]:
> * Patrick Shanahan <WideGlide@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003-11-16 16:06]:
> > * Colin J. Raven <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-16-03 09:57]:
> > > * Phil!Gregory <phil_g@xxxxxxxxx> [2003-11-16 15:49]:

> > > <scratching head in puzzlement>
> > > Err...OK....I guess
> >

> > The example given could also be:
> >   set postponed==postponed
> >
> > set [define a variable]
> > postponed [the variable]
> > = [make the assignment]
> > = [first character of the assignment, mutt's indication of the ~/mail
> >                folder]
> > postponed [the rest of the assignment, =postponed, the directory
> >                ~/mail/postponed]
> >

> > Does this make it clearer for you or did I mis-understand?
>
> Not that much clearer unfortunately. It isn't your fault, what you
> wrote would be clear to someone who better understand mutt, or wasn't
> so tired. I've been banging away on mutt since early early early this
> morning and I'm about seeing double now. I'll re-read what you wrote
> after dinner to see if walking away from my terminal for an hour or
> so makes a difference.

Remember that the second '=' is a character that mutt uses to designate
the ~/mail directory, a shortcut.  Mutt also recognizes the '+' for the
same thing.  Instead of writing 'set postponed==postponed', you could
write 'set postponed=+postponed' or 'set postponed=+postponed.folder'.

Is is the reuse of the word postponed that is confusing you?  The first
postponed is a variable belonging to mutt indicating a folder where
messages are being composed and temporarily held until being finalized
for posting.  I use a later ver of mutt than you, 1.5.5.1i, but the
manual paragraph number in my ver is 6.3.197:

  6.3.197.  postponed

  Type: path
  Default: "~/postponed"

  Mutt allows you to indefinitely ``postpone'' sending a message''
  which you are editing.  When you choose to postpone a message, Mutt
  saves it in the mailbox specified by this variable.  Also see the
  ``$postpone'''' variable.

and the +/= assignment:

  4.7.  Mailbox Shortcuts

  There are a number of built in shortcuts which refer to specific
  mailboxes.  These shortcuts can be used anywhere you are prompted for
  a file or mailbox path.

  ·  ! -- refers to your `$spoolfile'' (incoming) mailbox

  ·  > -- refers to your `$mbox'' file

  ·  < -- refers to your `$record'' file

  ·  - or !! -- refers to the file you've last visited

  ·  ~ -- refers to your home directory

  ·  = or + -- refers to your `$folder'' directory

  ·  @alias -- refers to the `default save folder'' as determined by
     the address of the alias

and $folder:

  6.3.52.  folder

  Type: path
  Default: "~/Mail"

  Specifies the default location of your mailboxes.  A +' or =' at the
  beginning of a pathname will be expanded to the value of this
  variable.  Note that if you change this variable from the default
  value you need to make sure that the assignment occurs before you use
  +' or =' for any other variables since expansion takes place during
  the et' command.

Have a good meal (and a cold beer).