Re: Rolling in sidebar, other mutt-ng type bits?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:46:38AM +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * tchomby <tchomby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [20081025 13:04]:
> > It's a shame the sidebar patch is so problematic.
[...]
> As long as you specify your mailfolders with "mailboxes", you can use
> "c" or "y" to change to a folder with new mail or get quick overview
> of the folders with new mail. You just won't see how many unread there
> are - but do you really care about that?

Yes?  Sometimes? :)

> The sidebar patch, which I did use for a while, was quickly discarded
> for eating up screen realestate I could ill afford to be without. And
> if you keep hiding the sidebar, why bother patching it in in the first
> place?

While your point is not lost on me (i'm a screen real estate monger
too), that seems like a silly argument against the feature...  A lot
of folks I work with use MS Outlook (and for that matter, almost
everything they use) in fullscreen mode, and switch back and forth
with alt-tab -- even when they're using larger resolution external
monitors.  Same goes for some (but a much smaller percentage of) Linux
users, using GUI mail applications.  Screen real estate is not much of
a limiting factor these days...  You have many options, e.g. make your
font smaller, minimize apps or hide them under other ones, get a
bigger (or another) monitor, etc.

I have always wanted mutt to have a 3-paned design, much like most any
modern GUI-oriented mail reader.  I use wide windows mainly so I can
see more of the subject line in the index, so I would want a top
pane which is the full width of the window, to see a partial index
view.  Then the remaining lower portion I would split between the side
bar, and the mutt viewer window.  If someone were to reimplement the
sidebar patch, I would hope that configuration were possible, and I
would very eagerly await such functionality smoothly integrated into
Mutt. :)

-=-=-=-=-