Re: Rolling in sidebar, other mutt-ng type bits?

* Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [20081028 21:07]:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:46:38AM +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > As long as you specify your mailfolders with "mailboxes", you can use
> > "c" or "y" to change to a folder with new mail or get quick overview
> > of the folders with new mail. You just won't see how many unread there
> > are - but do you really care about that?
>
> Yes?  Sometimes? :)

I used to think I did. Until I could really not be bothered with that
detail any more. I use Sieve server-side to filter out in folders on
my private mail accounts, and my work account is "all in one bucket"
because it's all important.

I action and archive pretty much everything at once if I can,
otherwise I Flag it and I have a push command to set a view filter on
the INBOX. My inbox is my ToDo list pretty much.

"How many unread do I have" lost importance once I were receiving
several hundred e-mails a day and it instead became important to
quickly be able to scan subject lines and decide - "keep, action,
flag, archive or delete?"

procmail or Sieve to slice and dice your mail into folders, and then
you can check with 'y' which ones (and you then know what's important
and what's not) has new mail.

I still hear your point however, so - as you said - the point is not
lost on me. :)

> > The sidebar patch, which I did use for a while, was quickly discarded
> > for eating up screen realestate I could ill afford to be without. And
> > if you keep hiding the sidebar, why bother patching it in in the first
> > place?
>
> While your point is not lost on me (i'm a screen real estate monger
> too), that seems like a silly argument against the feature...  A lot
> of folks I work with use MS Outlook (and for that matter, almost
> everything they use) in fullscreen mode, and switch back and forth
> with alt-tab -- even when they're using larger resolution external
> monitors.  Same goes for some (but a much smaller percentage of) Linux
> users, using GUI mail applications.  Screen real estate is not much of
> a limiting factor these days...  You have many options, e.g. make your
> font smaller, minimize apps or hide them under other ones, get a
> bigger (or another) monitor, etc.

My usecase is - I work in technical support, I travel to visit
customers regularly and I don't want a luggable laptop just to get big
screen. I have a 12.1" screen, 1024x768, and that will have to do.
I also use my terminal window maximised and need, due to eyesight, to
use a 11pt font. I'd love to use 6x12 or 6x10 as I could do years ago,
but that don't work for me anymore.

So - fitting things in on the screen is still an issue. As long as the
patch is fixed to address the issues that were highlighted by
developers and it's not on by default, then I have no objections to it
(because I'll still never see it).

> I have always wanted mutt to have a 3-paned design, much like most any
> modern GUI-oriented mail reader.  I use wide windows mainly so I can
> see more of the subject line in the index, so I would want a top
> pane which is the full width of the window, to see a partial index
> view.  Then the remaining lower portion I would split between the side
> bar, and the mutt viewer window.  If someone were to reimplement the
> sidebar patch, I would hope that configuration were possible, and I
> would very eagerly await such functionality smoothly integrated into
> Mutt. :)

I'm one of those dino's that like mutt, screen, irssi, emacs and
elinks. GUI e-mail readers have always bugged me something chronic,
and the UI of them seems to get in the way more often that they help
you. The 3-pained design - yeah, might work occasionally, but I always
end up back in mutt because "it just works" and I've now stopped
trying to use the GUI ones.

The rest of the point you make - I'm totally cool with. :)

Cheers!

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE