Re: How to send a return receipt

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:08:24PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:46:19PM +0200, Rado S wrote:
> > > It's not a bug but a feature that not everything that is possible is
> > > built-in but must/can be accomplished elsewhere.
> >
> > I have always, and still do find this argument to be um, less than
> > well thought out (to put it extremely mildly).  Adding features does
> > not inherently add bloat;
>
> Actually, it does.  Every feature, and every line of code generally, incurs
> both a development cost, and maintenance costs.

This is not the same as bloat.  From Merriam Webster:

  bloat - n.  1 a: one that is bloated b: unwarranted or excessive
  growth or enlargement <bureaucratic bloat>

Growth is not inherently unwanted or unwarranted or excessive.  So,
no, it actually doesn't.  Clean code added to address the needs of the
users is inherently not bloat.

> If your pet feature is minimal code, but the developers don't want
> to include it because what you're asking is already possible another
> way -- just maintain a local patch for it.  Every time you want to
> upgrade, apply your patch to the fresh code -- voila.  You get your
> feature, and the developers don't get the development, testing, and
> support overhead associated with it.  Everyone wins.  Yes, I've done
> exactly this myself.

So have I, and it sucks.  Every time I had to update the patch, I
couldn't help but think, "the fact that I have to do this is
retarded."  Patches that don't get added to the code base need to be
maintained... even small ones.  My patches eventually did make it into
mainstream mutt, and as such required far less maintenance, because
the code they touch rarely changes significantly, but just enough that
creating a new patch was needed fairly frequently.  Maintaining
patches for features that lots of people want is a stupid waste of
work.  If the maintainers don't want to maintain the code, then they
probably should stop being maintainers.

-=-=-=-=-