Re: Locale problem and sent index

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 04:10:43PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 7:25:03 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
>     [H?kedal]
> > I re-discovered that I see the intended (I think) glyph in nvi-m17n
> > only when Mutt passes the raw mail to the editor via the r)eply
> > function, not when viewing the message via the e)dit function.
>
>     That's in some way "normal":
>
>  - <reply> transcodes the mail from its label to your locale. You could
> see the correct glyph (even out of nvi) if only the font had it.
>
>  - <edit> "edit the raw message" doesn't decode nor transcode anything,
> but gives the really raw Latin-1 message to your $editor. Displaying raw
> Latin-1 in an EUC-JP environment without iconv just can't work.

Wow; I understood this exactly backwards!  My question then becomes, why
can't the glyph be viewed from Mutt directly?  It is the same "screen"
session from the same shell account via the same instance of the PuTTY
terminal emulator on the same OS with the same fonts!

> > It suggests to me that iconv is making the wrong assumption on how
> > that character should be encoded.
>
>     I don't think so. There is only one way to encode the /a ring/ in
> EUC-JP: The 3 bytes sequence 8F AB A9. Iconv produces just that. Remove

But it's not EUC-JP, right?  Didn't we decide it was EUC-JP-MS?

> Mutt and Iconv from the equation, and just cat or edit the following
> EUC-JP text file:
>
> | $ printf "H\x8F\xAB\xA9kedal\n" > ring-above-a.euc-jp

If I 'cat' "ring-above-a.euc-jp", I get that double-width centered dot.
In 'less', I see "H<8F><AB><A9>kedal", and in "most", I see "H~^Oˇ¦kedal"
(H~^0[doublewidth dot]kedal).

Of course in nvi-m17n, I see the double-width "ring-above-a" character
that I posted the screenshot of.  _Perhaps_ this means nvi-m17n "knows"
that 8F AB A9 doesn't mean anything in euc-jp, and therefore automatically
searches for a meaningful equivalent in euc-jp-ms?

> > With "Lucida Console", are those double-width glyphs?
>
>     Yes. Well, more exactly: Single-width glyphs expanded to fill 2
> columns. Note their width is linked to charset and locale, not to the

What I meant was, what do you actually get displayed on _your_ monitor.

> solution for you. I mentionned it only as proof that iconv, Mutt, and
> your settings do work correctly. Only the font has holes. Nvi does that
> better than correct, despite the same font holes, and I wonder how.

Unfortunately the author of nvi-m17n seems so very busy, otherwise I would
try to ask him how that is being done.  It sure would be nice if Mutt
could do the same magic.  The glyphs, however funky or even wrong sometimes,
that nvi-m17n is able to force WindowsXP to find are better than that
centered-dot, no-glyph-available character.

Thanks Alain for your encouraging words.  It is very frustrating to be
so close, but so far away.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/