Re: Locale problem and sent index

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:34:16PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> Hi Henry!

Hi Alain!

>  On Monday, May 14, 2007 at 7:00:11 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
>     [H$(D+)(Bkedal]
> > in Mutt, I see a multibyte, centered dot, but in my editor (nvi-m17n)
> > I see an "a:", a multibyte character that looks like an "a" with two

I re-discovered that I see the intended (I think) glyph in nvi-m17n only
when Mutt passes the raw mail to the editor via the r)eply function, not
when viewing the message via the e)dit function.  (Becomes:  [H$BiL(Bedal].)
It suggests to me that iconv is making the wrong assumption on how that
character should be encoded.

I mention this since there is another thread, "Apple mail", in progress now
which seems to be touching on a very similar topic.

>     I tried with PuTTY 0.58 and the Japanese patch, in EUC-JP
> translation (we already know it's not EUC-JP but really the -MS
> superset), a LANG=fr_FR.EUC-JP locale, libiconv 1.11 (without Japanese
> patch, didn't find one for 1.11), and the MS Gothic font I usually

I gave up applying the patch.  It was not quite as robust as I originally
thought, and turned out to not be useful for my work account that I must
use Japanese 99.9% of the time.  It's better to just lose a few lines of
text and mention to people composing mail on Macs intended for Windows
users that they should not use circled numbers, etcetera; vice versa,
of course.

> choose for CJK ideograms. I see the double-width little square dot
> saying "no such glyph", in Mutt, in my $editor, and directly:
>
> | $ printf "\xC3\xA5 \xC3\xB6 \xC4\xB8\n" | iconv -f utf-8
> | $(D+)(B $(D+S(B <U+0138>
>
>     No such glyph, really? I switched to another font, Lucida Console,
> and bingo: The 3 characters "a o K" do appear correctly!

I'm not sure I really understand this.  I'm using PuTTY on Windows with
MS Gothic, and I see the glyphs in $editor.  With "Lucida Console", are
those double-width glyphs?  I wonder if Windows knows to fall back on
Lucida Console if the glyph is not available in MS Gothic?

>     I have to admit it does magical things! :-) How it does that so well
> is a mystery to me...

It's the programmer, "itojun".  Total genius.

> "$(D+S(B". But note the "$(D+S(B" should not have an horizontal line, but
> 2 dots
> above (a diaeresis, the German umlaut).

Not nice.  Still waiting for a high quality, fixed-width utf8 font which
includes the CJK ideograms to be shipped with Windows.

>       ??MSN considered HARMFUL?? PCC CB on MU. $(D"m(B June 2002

And again: only a dot in Mutt, but a "funky" double-width copyright
symbol in nvi-m17n (when called by the reply function from mutt).

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/