Re: Locale problem and sent index

Hi Henry!

 On Monday, May 14, 2007 at 7:00:11 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

    [Håkedal]
> in Mutt, I see a multibyte, centered dot, but in my editor (nvi-m17n)
> I see an "a:", a multibyte character that looks like an "a" with two
> dots above it.

    I tried with PuTTY 0.58 and the Japanese patch, in EUC-JP
translation (we already know it's not EUC-JP but really the -MS
superset), a LANG=fr_FR.EUC-JP locale, libiconv 1.11 (without Japanese
patch, didn't find one for 1.11), and the MS Gothic font I usually
choose for CJK ideograms. I see the double-width little square dot
saying "no such glyph", in Mutt, in my $editor, and directly:

| $ printf "\xC3\xA5 \xC3\xB6 \xC4\xB8\n" | iconv -f utf-8
| å ö <U+0138>

    No such glyph, really? I switched to another font, Lucida Console,
and bingo: The 3 characters "a o K" do appear correctly!

> "nvi-m17n" does it with such "ease".

    I have to admit it does magical things! :-) How it does that so well
is a mystery to me... Those glyphs really look like the same font: "aå",
"oö". But note the "ö" should not have an horizontal line, but 2 dots
above (a diaeresis, the German umlaut).

Bye!    Alain.